Top Harmonica Lessons in USA
VirtuousReviews brings you the best Harmonica lessons in USA. Contact the institutes near your location to compare the best prices.
Harmonicas or also known as Mouth Organs have contributed its sound to many genres in music. Country and Blues are two most common genres to include a Harmonica in their sound. Harmonicas are wind instruments and require reed to produce sound. The reed is present on the reed plate inside the Harmonica. They are usually round spring shaped brass pieces. Unlike the horns, reeds in Harmonica rise above the reed plane. There are several holes on the side and there is at least one reed under every hole in Harmonica.
When we blow wind inside the Harmonica, we can pitch our notes by using the different holes. The wind then moves the brass reed inside, resulting in the formation of a sound. There are a lot of tricks you can do on a Harmonica like:-
- Bending:- The term ‘bending a note’ is created by a guitar player. Guitar players actually bend the string to reach higher pitches following a continuity.
- Vibrato:- To create a vibrato is to shift, either the pitch or the intensity of a note rapidly. In Harmonicas, a vibrato can be achieved by several ways. Most common way is to move the hand on the open side rapidly.
Basic Components of Western Music theory
- Pitch:- Pitch can be defined as how high or how low a note gets. It is directly proportional to the frequency of a sound. Pitch of a sound is very particular and it cannot be matched, even by a similar sound produced by a different equipment.
- Scales:- Scales came out as patterns in music which sensibly completes a music circle. A musical scale is made up of notes with a certain pattern to follow. For example, there are major scales in music which follows “Root Note-Tone-Tone-Semitone-Tone-Tone-Tone-Semitone” pattern. The last note of which again comes out to be the root note. There are a lot of other scales in music.
- Consonance and Dissonance:- Pick a note on any musical instrument. There are a number of consonance and dissonance for a note within its own scales. Consonant notes sound complete when played together. Dissonant notes give a feeling of incompleteness.
- Chord:- Chords can be defined as notes in a scale, which when played together, create a sensible sound. It can only be consonant notes or a combination of consonant and dissonant notes. For example, to play a major chord in any scale, you need to pick the first, third and fifth note from that scale. Play the selected notes together. You have got your chord.