Top Sitar Lessons in USA
VirtuousReviews brings you the best Sitar Lesson Services in USA. Contact the top rated services near your location to compare the best prices.
Sitar is an Indian instrument which was used by great Western artists in 1960. Bands like Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Doors and more have used Sitar in some of their Albums. Stars are said to be improvised from ancient Veena. They are made of Toona or Teak wood. The resonating chamber in a sitar is made of Calabash Gourd. Depending on the playing styles,
There are 2 types of Sitars:-
- Gandhaar Pancham Sitar:- These kinds of Sitars are used along with singing.
- Kharaj Pancham Sitar:- There are completely dedicated to instrumental purposes
Strings in a sitar vary from 18 to 21 in number. Only 6 or 7 strings are playable. The other strings create a resonating sound along with the root notes. The sound produced from the strings gets trapped inside the resonating chamber, which in turn, produces a sound.
To play the Sitar, you have to pluck the strings using a metal Plectrum, from your right hand. While the index, middle and ring finger from the left hand, fingers the fretboard. Indian classical music theories apply towards playing and tuning a Sitar. There are several common concepts in Indian and Western music theories.
Basic components of Western Music Theory
- Pitch:- Pitch can be defined as how high or how low a note gets. It is directly proportional to the frequency of a sound. Pitch of a sound is very particular and it cannot be matched, even by a similar sound produced by a different equipment.
- Scales:- Scales came out as patterns in music which sensibly completes a music circle. A musical scale is made up of notes with a certain pattern to follow. For example, there are major scales in music which follows “Root Note-Tone-Tone-Semitone-Tone-Tone-Tone-Semitone” pattern. The last note of which again comes out to be the root note. There are a lot of other scales in music.
- Consonance and Dissonance:- Pick a note on any musical instrument. There are a number of consonance and dissonance for a note within its own scales. Consonant notes sound complete when played together. Dissonant notes give a feeling of incompleteness.
- Chord:- Chords can be defined as notes in a scale, which when played together, create a sensible sound. It can only be consonant notes or a combination of consonant and dissonant notes. For example, to play a major chord on any scale, you need to pick the first, third and fifth note from that scale. Play the selected notes together. You have got your chord.